Monday, April 1, 2013

Pregnant Jennifer Ellison on her fears of getting postnatal depression again

Pregnant Jennifer Ellison on her fears of getting postnatal depression again

By Emily Sheridan

|

She's excitedly preparing for the birth of her second child.

However, like many women in the same situation, Jennifer Ellison admits she is fearful of suffering from postnatal depression again.

The former Brookside star suffered from the baby blues after giving birth to son Bobby in 2010 and is adamant she won't let it get as serious if she struggles with it again.

Excited: Jennifer Ellison is looking forward to becoming a mother for the second time

Excited: Jennifer Ellison is looking forward to becoming a mother for the second time

She told the new issue of Now magazine: 'It’s already crossed my mind. But I hope I should be OK...

'I don’t think I’ll get it with this baby.'

Jennifer believes her traumatic 92 hour labour with Bobby - which resulted in an emergency Caesarean section - contributed to her illness.

She explained: 'I think I got it last time because of the shock of the labour â€" it was extremely stressful and very scary. Four days of no sleep and then a baby!

Baby on the way: Jennifer at the Tesco Mum Of The Year Awards in London last month

Baby on the way: Jennifer at the Tesco Mum Of The Year Awards in London last month

Read the full feature in Now, out today

Read the full feature in Now, out today

'Everything was negative in my mind. Thankfully my mum also had postnatal depression, so she recognised the signs.'

The former Hell's Kitchen star ended up taking antidepressants for six months.

She added: 'I hope I’ll notice the signs straightaway â€" fear of the unknown and of not being a good mum.

'If it happens, it’s treatable. I’m fine now, so if it starts again it’s something we can sort, hopefully.'

Even though Jennifer had such a traumatic labour with Bobby, she is looking forward to the arrival of baby No.2.

She enthused: 'I’m sure I should be frightened,
but I’m not. My poor husband Robbie was absolutely traumatised but I was like: "I want to do it again!"

'I loved the whole experience. I know it sounds weird, but I knew the pain had a purpose. Maybe I feel fine because Robbie’s so supportive. He didn’t leave my side throughout the whole of my labour. I’m so lucky.

Read the full feature in Now, out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment