Friday, March 29, 2013

'They unhooked me from the machine and placed my fragile body in my mother's arms': Couple creates heart-breaking blog through the eyes of their premature baby as he loses his battle to survive

'They unhooked me from the machine and placed my fragile body in my mother's arms': Couple creates heart-breaking blog through the eyes of their premature baby as he loses his battle to survive

By Sadie Whitelocks

|

A couple who blogged through the eyes of their premature baby as he battled to survive, have told how it helped them cope better with his eventual death.

Tyler and Mandy Stout, from Fruit Heights, Utah, started writing on behalf of their son Marshall three days after he was born at 27 weeks, as a way of keeping family and friends updated on his progress.

But almost three months later, on March 4 this year, they found themselves typing out his final words after his heart stopped beating.

Scroll down for video

Coping mechanism: Tyler and Mandy Stout said that blogging from the perspective of their premature baby, helped them to deal better with his eventual death

Coping mechanism: Tyler and Mandy Stout said that blogging from the perspective of their premature baby, helped them to deal better with his eventual death

'They unhooked me from the machine, and placed my fragile body in my mother's arms,' an excerpt from the Stout's last post reads.

It continues: 'My parents looked stricken. My nurses and my doctor looked stricken. I did my best to comfort them. I hope they felt me there!'

'Marshall's life was inspirational . . . I felt privileged to give his messages a medium' 

'I will sure miss you all! I'll be watching over you . . . This Home is even better!

'There is no pain, no sorrow and I am looking forward to my parents, family and friends joining me here soon.'

The Stouts said blogging about their experience gave them a sense of hope.

Mrs Stout, 32, told MailOnline: '[Marshall's] life was inspirational and he never "spoke" a word.

'I felt privileged to give his messages a medium, a place to be expressed and recorded. 

'I will cherish his words and short journey on this earth throughout my life.'

Tiny tot: Marshall was born on December 20 at Davis Hospital in Layton, Utah - he weighed just 14oz and measured 10.5ins long and doctors said he had a 50 / 50 chance of survival

Tiny tot: Marshall was born on December 20 at Davis Hospital in Layton, Utah - he weighed just 14oz and measured 10.5ins long and doctors said he had a 50 / 50 chance of survival

Progress update: This picture was taken when Marshall weighed 2lbs 13oz, and measured 14ins tall

Progress update: This picture was taken when Marshall weighed 2lbs 13oz, and measured 14ins tall

She said that they also received 'strength' from the dozens of messages they received over the months.

A SHORT BUT INSPIRATIONAL LIFE: 'MARSHALL'S' BLOG

22 DECEMBER, 2012

I guess I better fill you in on my little world. For such a lightweight, there sure are a lot of people fussing over me. I've been pretty stable these last couple of days [and] I've gained about two ounces since my birth, which is mostly water and makes my hands and feet all puffy. The doctors say I'll start losing weight soon, and that's normal.

JANUARY 28, 2013

I did it! On Tuesday I got off the ventilator and I breathed on my own! Well, it was mostly on my own - I had oxygen running up into my nose. It made me sneeze a lot. But to me it reminded me of hea ven.

FEBRUARY 17, 2013

I'm so tired. My doctor and the nurses are trying to figure it out right now. They swabbed my mouth and took more blood to start some cultures. Maybe it's an infection, maybe it's pneumonia, maybe it's a yeast problem. I don't know. I hope you don't feel too sad. I'll be alright, I promise.

MARCH 4, 2013

They unhooked me from the machine. One of my nurses mentioned that I just completed my mission on earth faster than the rest of us. I will sure miss you all! Please treasure each other and the time you have together. I know I sure treasured mine! Although it was hard, it was definitely worth it!

Marshall was born on December 19, 2012, at Davis Hospital in Layton, Utah. He weighed just 14oz and measured 10.5ins long.

'With eyes fused shut, lungs just barely starting to form, paper-thin skin, and fragile little head, Marshall's chances of survival were optimistically 50/50, according to the doctor,' Mr Stout, 26, recalled.

'Not only was he at risk for countless illnesses, disorders, and disabilities, the very tools and methods to treat his afflictions were not meant for one so small.'

From day one the Stouts began sending out email updates regarding Marshall's health.

But in a bid to voice their newborn's thoughts and feelings they started a blog site for him, with Mr Stout creating the majority of the posts.

'Marshall's' first email was titled 'three days old and I'm already sending emails' and following entries described various events including his first Christmas and the day he opened his eyes.

At first the blog, which includes videos and photographs, was only read by close friends and family.

But after people posted it to Facebook the Stouts started receiving emails and comments from complete strangers.

'I received a lot of strength from the love and experiences of others who had gone through similar things,' Mrs Stout said.

The day before his death, on March 3, the blog explains that doctors believed he had developed an infection, most likely a bacterial infection in his blood from his PICC intravenous line.

This caused him to develop a fever and his lungs started to fill with fluid. The following posts detail how his condition rapidly deteriorated leading to his passing.

Special moment: Marshall was the Stout's first child

Special moment: Marshall was the Stout's first child

Heartbreaking: The Stout's blog included updates and photographs tracking their baby's progress

Heartbreaking: The Stout's blog included updates and photographs tracking their baby's progress

Short, but inspirational life: Marshall passed on March 4, 2013, after an almost three month battle to survive

Short, but inspirational life: Marshall passed on March 4, 2013, after an almost three month battle to survive

To other parents in a similar position Mrs Stout said: 'I would recommend to anyone going through a similar experience to be kind to themselves . . patient with themselves and with others.

'Definitely to try to view the experience how a loving and trusting child would . . . and to not be afraid to open up and share.

'Blogging about it definitely gives others a chance to strengthen you.'

No comments:

Post a Comment